If low cal is the name of the game, then very few can beat this healthy eggplant recipe. It has approximately 60 calories per serving and what is more, it fills you up just fine. Moreover, in case you’re one of those people who associate eggplant with a bitter taste, then think again because the balsamic vinegar used in this recipe takes care of that. So make yourself this healthy eggplant recipe and DIG IN!
Poor Man’s Steak
Egg plants – 2 (1 and a ½ pounds)
Minced clove garlic – 1 small
Balsamic Vinegar – 1 tablespoon
Chopped fresh mint – 1 tablespoon
Extra-virgin olive oil – 1 tablespoon
Dried oregano – ½ teaspoon
Salt – 2 teaspoons
Freshly ground pepper – According to taste
Method Of Cooking Healthy Eggplant Recipe:
1. Trim the ends of the eggplant, cut crosswise and make slices which are about 3/4th of an inch thick.
2. Season the eggplant with the salt and then put the eggplant in a sieve or colander and let the water drain for about 30 minutes.
3. Preheat your oven to a temperature of 450 degrees Fahrenheit and then grease two baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Following this, wash the eggplant thoroughly in cold water and then pat dry. Arrange the egg-plants in a layer on the baking sheets. Then bake the eggplant for about 20 minutes and then turn the eggplant over and bake for about 5 minutes more to ensure that both sides are well-cooked. Bake until the eggplant attains a golden brown color and turns soft.
5. On a small bowl mix the oregano, oil, mint garlic and vinegar .
6. Remove the eggplant from your oven and then apply pepper all over it as a seasoning and then sprinkle the mixture of oil and oregano onto the eggplants. Serve the eggplant steak when it attains room temperature.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving) – Serves 6
Calories – 52 kcal
Total Fat – 3g
Carbohydrates – 7g
Proteins – 1g
Sodium – 779 mg